Tuesday, November 17, 2009

But it is so nice out

The weather dealt me a delayed blow. In the most lucrative weekend of the year (for regular season soccer), I was dealt the equivalent of a snake eyes. The assignor pays a premium for working the playoffs of one of the rec leagues. During the regular season, those matches are not in high demand, but if you are willing to do them, he then rewards you at the end of the season with matches that pay very well for the playoffs. For 70 minute matches, you would receive $50 for a center and $30 for an AR. I had 3 centers and one AR, so I was looking at an extra $180.

It rained Tuesday through Friday and on Saturday, they make the decision to close the grass fields and not the turf fields. Sure enough I was on grass. To make matters worse, it turned out to be a decent day. Sunday was even better, but I come to find out that since the semi-finals were not played on Saturday, there would be no finals for Sunday either. So I did not get a chance to work either day. Still, I am not going to complain too much as I have to go by and collect my check from the assignor tonight and I have a good idea of how much will be in there, and it is decent to say the least.

This next weekend, I am doing the last tournament of the season. Last year it should have been called the icycle tournament as it was really cold, and there were some matches scheduled at 7:30am! This season, I am a backup ref on Saturday and Sunday I am working the U15 boys and U14 girls. We will see how all that goes but it should be fun.

No comments: