Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How much running does a ref do?

I read an interesting article stating that a referee doing a 90 minute match is capable of running up to 12 miles in a match, on average. And that is about 5 miles more than what the average field player does in the same amount of time. That is certainly fascinating.

Here is the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/04/world.cup.referees.fitness/index.html?hpt=C1

Regardless, if you were to tell me that I had to run 5 miles, I would look at you like you had two heads. I do not think I would enjoy it at all, but if you think of it in reffing terms, I am sure that I run that much during some of my 80 minute matches, or at least I am close to that. I do not realize I have run that much because of the fact that my mind is not pondering that, it is preoccupied about where the play is going, how much time is left, can the blue team sub on a corner, is that kid hurt, what is my AR trying to tell me, is that a studs up tackle and many other questions to preoccupy my mind.

I had never thought I covered that much ground. I plan to make it official though at some moment. I want to buy one of those Garmin GPS devices that runners use to track my field coverage and to determine how much running I actually do. If I find one that can double as a countdown watch, then I think we will be in business. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use a smartphone and something like map my run

Anonymous said...

That would be on average 7 and a half minute miles... not including times where play is stopped, I think 12 is a bit extreme.

Anonymous said...

This is rated for FIFA level reff's those at the local level and provincal would run less, as the players are not as fit