Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Now really Passing the torch

This weekend, apart from the crazy referee in the previous post, I worked Saturday for the first time with my son. The local rec league does something that most leagues do not do. That is to put ARs on their U10 and U12 matches. Those are the first age groups where there is a semi big field. It is basically the same size as the fields used by travel if they were 12 and under.

My son and I worked 3 matches, 2 U12 boys and one U12 girls. He was more than observant and did quite well. My glowing moment where I realized he "got" it was during the first match where I was close to him but due to a discussion with a coach on his side, I had my back to him for a second as play restarted. Team took a quick throw in, one player flicked it with his head to a teammate that was slightly offside. I called it without looking at him since I had a good view and he had his flag up, so he saw it as well.

It was great to work with my son, it felt like something akin to bonding time. It helped that he knew what he was doing, so that always works. Good for him. Next weekend, he works with the U6 kids all by himself. I wonder if he will be able to control play just as well as he did on the AR side.

No comments: