Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Referees make bad players

Or at least, I make a bad player. I mentioned that the local league started an adult league. The league has different levels and teams based on genders, etc. I play on a coed team and have realized that I am more trouble than some of the other players. Since I know the rules quite well, I have a hard time when I feel the rules are being misapplied. This past week, it was offside that set me off. At the time, I thought I was right (and still think I am right about the actual application of the rule in this case) but I realized, I am not the ref and nothing I say can change what the ruling was at the time the action took place, so I better just can it instead of getting in the head of the referee. I don't like it when other players do it to me and so now that the table has turned, I have to be able to live with the occasional (or with some of my fellow referees, more than the occasional) missed call and just move on.

Tonight I have another game and will focus on my behavior more so than the referee decisions. Let's see how that plays out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good referees make good players. Bad referees make bad players.

I have read many of your posts. I am fearful that you do not have a firm grasp of the laws of the game, or the spirit of the game. Instead of posting how "referees make bad players" please work on the skills as a ref. I have seen to many good refs quit because of undue harrassment from players, coaches, parents, and sadly bad refs who play who think they wear a fifa badge.

YASR - Yet Another Soccer Referee said...

Anonymous, thanks again for your comments, but I think you are taking things a little too literal. As you can see from the 5+ years I have been writing in my blog, I do take a good amount of effort to make sure I am a decent referee. Can I do better? Absolutely. But the statement that good referees make good players is just silly. The capacity of one does not correspond at all with the capacity of the other.