Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Clarification on the new DOGSO

In my last post, I stated that I called a DOGSO PK and therefore the person committing the foul got only a yellow instead of a red card. I misspoke in a way because had that person used a push, shirt tug, or other already illegal method of stopping the player, it would have been a red card anyway. This is where I think that people are going to be a lot of confusion. I suspect that most referees will treat any DOGSO PK as a yellow and misapply the rules.

The rules state that you can commit a DOGSO PK foul and still be sent off if you handle the ball, or push, pull or do not or cannot play the ball with the tackle. In those cases, instead of a yellow, it should be a red card.

This may cause us to just go with yellow in the box, red outside, but it is much more nuanced than that. It will take some time, I believe, to have this trickle down to everyone.

No comments: