Friday, September 19, 2008

This weekend

This weekend, I have more games, for sure. My goal is to do at least one match every weekend this season. That way it does not take a ton of time out of my weekend, which already includes a game on Saturday with my daughter and my son's on Sunday.

However, this weekend, turned out to be quite moving as I have 3 ARs for the local rec league on Saturday and one center and one AR on Sunday. The Sunday matches are what I am looking towards as they are a U10 boys match and then an adult coed league match where I am an AR. I am excited that I will get to do 5 matches this weekend, but hoping the body keeps up with the pace I am going to put it through as I am not much of an exerciser. If you read an earlier post, I refer to reffing as a form of paid exercise.

In terms of getting these assignments, it is a lot of reaching out. Once you complete your course as a Grade 8, my suggestion is to start off and talk to one of the instructors. There is a great chance that one of them will be an assignor, so start with them and ask them if they have a league that you can ref with, or get on a mailing list. Your local referee organization should have a list of certified assignors for your area. Send them an email as well stating that you would like to be put in their mailing list. Finally, find out about tournaments via the assignors you work with once you have sent the initial message.

You will see that they have to have a ton patience and amazing organization (at least in this area) because the sheer number of games and the level of what can and cannot be booked, is quite mind boggling. By way of this post, I want to say thank you to all the assignors for all the work, late nights they put in trying to juggle the matches, refs, assignments.

I will update everyone as much as I can for this weekend's games and hope to have at least one more for next weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for the emails!

No comments: