Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lively match

It was a good match between between gray (state champions in the U16 age group) and black (a team from Delaware, I believe). But before I get into that, I arrived and the center I was working with (the one that has little to offer in terms of feedback) had just arrived and was a little more talkative than before, so there was hope.

The match started off with a bang, black kicks off, streaks down the line and gets tripped up in the box, on my side. I probably should have lifted my flag up to indicate a penalty but it was too early and just not that ironclad. If I had been the center, I probably would have called it, but as an AR, I deferred to the center who seemed to be in a better position.

After that, gray dominated play for most of the first half with black managing some counter attacks that kept me going. With 5 minutes left in the half, gray got a couple of quick goals, and the girls in black just did not have enough will to come back from that deficit.

In the second half, black tried and had a chance or two, but gray was very solid in the back. Gray got another halfway through the second half and that is how it ended, 3-0 but it was not that far apart in my book.

Of interest in this match was that I took my yellow and black shirts originally, thinking that they would be the only ones we would use but right before leaving, I threw in the red for good measure, and sure enough we used red (though I do not know why, as it was gray vs. black and goalies were orange and blue).

Also of note, this was the first time I got payment on the field per se, as opposed to getting a check. It was $30 for this one match and it was a lot of running. Again, paid exercise. Gotta love it.

No comments: