Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Flurry of activity

These last 24 hours have generated quite a bit of work for me because of my dismissal of a parent that I commented about in my previous post. I was asked by the assignor for the field that I was at on Sunday to include a detailed run down of everything that was happening leading up to the incident and then the exchange as best as I could remember so that he could forward it on to the discipline committee for the league.

In my initial comment card (the one where you write down the final score, and send that in to the league) I included what I could but of course the space allocated is not really much at all. In the email I went into a lot more detail (more than in the post) as I knew who the player was and could figure out that it was the father or caregiver of that player. I submitted that Sunday night and Monday night I received an email where I was CCed that contained the assignor's comments plus my rundown of the events.

Immediately, I get an email from the R/D Commissioner asking if the threat that the disgruntled parent had uttered had made me feel fearful of my physical safety. It had not, but I suspect that if I had said yes, a bigger wave of problems would have befallen this person and the team in general. Also, he commented that I could have terminated the match if I did feel like the threats were on the physical side. At the time of the match, it did not cross my mind, but afterward I did think about it. To be truthful, the kids did not deserve it.

And then I get a couple of emails from people on the local club board to state how well they thought I handled the situation. It appears that there were plenty of people that were there who have some influence. Oh well, who knows, my stock may be rising! More to come on this as I have it but it certainly generates a lot more work that I would have expected. And better yet, more blog fodder.

No comments: