Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Adult League done

We have a little break for the next couple of weeks where things have either concluded or are about to begin. My kids' travel programs are going to kick off in a couple of weeks and their tournaments will be something of soccer fodder if there is anything of interest.

Also, the local adult league concluded with some interesting dynamics regarding players. I am astonished to realize how many of us who are on the higher side of 40 think they can still hang with the young 20 somethings that were here for the summer adult league. I guess they were back from college, on summer break and decided to join the league for this go around. More than once I saw these 40 something players (myself included) trying to run down a person who is half one's age. It is not pretty.

Still, I have less tolerance with adults than with the kids when it comes to shirt pulling, diving and overall silliness. It seems like the adults try to emulate more of what is going on when they watch the TV than the kids are, and they are not that good at acting. Or perhaps it is that the legs are just not there. Needless to say, I have a blast when playing but I still would prefer to ref than play.

No comments: