Sunday, September 28, 2008

Out of Position

Today's games for the most part have been rained out (though it is sunny) and I drove to the field anyway since the day was looking nice. Next time I will make sure that I check email and the website before driving down and finding out that things were not as they seemed. Always a learning experience.

Yesterday I was able to do a girls U10 match. And there was not much to comment as one team was clearly superior to the other (4-0 was the final score) but I realized in the first half that it did not seem to be too hard to stay back and watch the match from farther away that I normally do and still make the calls.

That 'discovery' lasted me until about midway through the second half, I myself felt I was out of position and could not see things as closely. I even felt I called a couple of fouls on the reaction of the players instead of what I saw, so I am scratching that, I am going to have to be in better position and closer to the play because this calling it from 20 feet just does not suit my style. As always, it is good to walk away from a match and figure out you learned something.

There is still one AR position left this afternoon that appears to still be on, we will see if that is the case closer to the kick-off time, but I certainly hope so as I wanted to make over $100 this weekend (my wife's car had to get a lot of work done) and could use every penny!

No comments: