Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rain, rain, play anyway!

In my last post, there were concerns over the weather this weekend. It was supposed to rain a fair amount on Saturday and it did. In our area, I would say at least 3/4 of an inch. However, when I got up at 7:30am, I checked the local website, expecting to see all the fields closed and noticed that the turf fields were open. I was not sure if I was on the turf fields (I was pretty sure I was not) but when I checked my email, I realized I was.

The first match, a close 1-1 match between two U10 teams was centered by one of the senior referees. He gave a lot of tips on when to call offsides, positioning, everything. I was certainly glad to have worked his game.

The second match was much more waterlogged and even the turf fields were ponding. I was really hoping for some thunder so we could just call the games but, no! It came down but no thunder or lightning in sight. The second match was a more monotonous affair, with both teams having to play a man down due to the fact that one of the teams did not have any subs. They ended up losing 5-2 but it was a good time at least where I could joke a bit with the team's parents.

Finally, it was my turn to center and the assignor was one of my ARs. I did an ok match given the circumstances (downright downpour). I missed an offside call on the other side of my AR, where the trail AR (the assignor) had to point it out. But it was the rain and everything else that made it interesting. In the end, I called only a couple of fouls, like 4-5 offisides and it was a 1-0 game decided in the end of match by a relatively tame ball that trickled through the hands of the goalie. Now my hope is that I can get more travel matches close to home. We will see.

No comments: