Monday, November 3, 2008

Assignments in so many colors

So the season is not dead yet. I had received an invite from an assignor that I never worked with a couple of weeks ago that basically said, call me at 11am today for assignments at the upcoming tournament on the weekend of November 15 and 16. So I did. At 11am on the dot. She was evidently fielding calls from other people already.

When she got to me, she asked me what I had worked already this season and what I felt comfortable with, etc. I got a Saturday with U12 girls and a Sunday with U11 boys. It was just interesting how you get assignments to that tournament. My son played in that tournament last season and the level of reffing was decent, to say the least, so I am hoping to be able to keep up the level. And U11 and U12 is not the oldest (U15 looked to be the oldest) but it was not the youngest either (with U8 being the youngest) and I would imagine that they keep those for the younger referees. I also got the mornings, as I do not mind being at the fields at 7:30, and the wife and kids will not be up until 9:30 or so, that works out well as there would not be that much time away while everyone is awake. The afternoon possibility was better to see championship matches (all the finals are played on Sunday afternoon) but it would also be something of a bigger break if we had any other weekend activities.

And the following weekend, I am part of another tournament, this time, with my son's team in play as well, so there are still some matches to be had even as the season winds down. And to think I am at 30 matches this season already. I will be close to 40-45 when it is all said and done for this first season. Not too shabby.

No comments: