Monday, November 14, 2011

Small Field, Big Bodies

Yesterday was fun, it is the reason I ref, it is why I like to do what I do. An end of season match in a lower division U15 boys match. The field was a smallish field on one of the side fields at a middle school close to home. Normally, big boys such as those in U15 or above tend to garner a lot of attention and given that the field was small and bumpy, the kids were big, I was expecting a lot of traffic and a whole lot of fouls and a bunch of plastic.

Surprisingly, I did whistle more fouls that I normally do on a bigger field, but no plastic at all. And it was a fun game, though nobody could really control the ball on such an iffy field. Still it was a fun end of season match instead of those end of season matches that sometimes get out of hand because of the kids who would rather fight than play soccer. Hats off to these kids who played a good game and did not decide that they were two close to each other. Maybe something a little positive to prepare me for a winter trip to Alabama and more reffing...more on that later.

No comments: