Monday, October 1, 2012

Why the name?

The other day I received an email from someone regarding the naming convention of the blog. So let me peel back a little bit of the info of what makes me who I am. I work in the IT field for my Monday to Friday job. In that world, you sometime have to use software applications to help you figure out what type of machine you are dealing with. In the early days of my IT career, I used to use an application called a port scanner that allowed you to figure out what was on the other side of a network connection. So for example, if I were scanning a server and I saw port 1433 and 1434 open, I knew it was a Microsoft SQL server. If ports 135, 137, etc were open, it was possibly just a PC, etc. The one I used the most was one called Yet Another Port Scanner (YAPS for short) which had been named because it was not the first one but it was a darned good one. So when I had to come up with a name for this blog, I had seen that I was not the first soccer referee to begin blogging about his experience in the trenches, hence the name Yet Another Soccer Referee.

Here is the link to what is now YAPS:

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=19

Anyway, as they say, and the rest is history. But now if you want to use a port scanner, I normally rely on Angry IP, though I have to admit I have not had to port scan in a while.

No comments: