Monday, April 8, 2013

So how much running does a ref really do?

In a previous post, I asked that question and had some answers but nothing from real experience. I have played with iPhone apps that monitor your movements but was not 100% convinced because they are hard to get to work when reffing.

My wife got me a New Balance GPS Monitor recently and so I decided to finally put it to good use. I tested it by running what I knew would be a mile and sure enough it registered 1.01 miles, so close enough.

Here is the picture of the watch:


This weekend marks the beginning of the regular soccer season here in the region and as such, I had quite a few matches to test this on. Here is the breakdown of my matches and the totals run:


  • U16 Girls center (40 minute halves) - 3.98 miles
  • High School Boys JV match (30 minute halves) 2.22 miles
  • High School Boys Varsity AR (40 minute halves) 2.24 miles
  • U16 girls AR (40 minute halves) - 2.00 miles
  • U15 Boys center D1 (40 minute halves) - 4.5 miles
When it is all said and done, that is a lot of running for this weekend. To top it off, I played in an adult league game (and was more tired with that than I have ever been with reffing) as well as reffing the following adult league match, so you can imagine how tired I was this weekend. But still, the pain actually feels good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does a watch like this run? brand name etc?

Anonymous said...

Nevermind, it helps if I read everything you wrote before commenting. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Funny!No way!
U16 Girls center (40 minute halves) - 3.98 miles

U15 Boys center D1 (40 minute halves) - 4.5 miles