Sunday, October 20, 2013

A question of levels

In this area, you have your garden variety rec leagues, your travel leagues and in the middle, exists SFL. This league, as I think I have mentioned before, mixes kids from rec and travel caliber kids. It is popular because it mixes in the travel part (teams travel a bit out of their home area) and still have rec prices in terms of registration and practices, etc.

With that said, the bad part is you get kids who can barely kick the ball playing with kids who should be playing travel but can't afford to. I have mentioned that this mix is not a good one because the different levels leads to things like the situation from yesterday I had in my game. This was a u13 game, to fully set the stage. 

White team up 1-0 late in the game. Yellow pressing up and they lose the ball on attack. Yellow player tries to recover the ball from white's defender by executing a two footed tackle from the side that the defender could not see. While the tackle was good in terms of dispossessing the ball from the defender, I felt it was really a dangerous tackle. Had the defender's ankle been 2 inches closer to the tackler's two footed lunge, he would be spending the rest of the weekend at the hospital. So I blew the whistle and the coach went ballistic because all he saw was the result of the play. I saw the potential of tackles like that. I told him that a tackle like this is fine in a World Cup but not in a u13 semi rec match. I showed him (the player) the yellow card and that sent the parents over the edge. But at the end of the game, no one came by asking me to explain myself. It was one where I was going to show a yellow or a red card depending on whether there was contact with the ankle. I am not sure if coach or player fully understood what I was trying to convey. It all depends if they take a step back and reflect on the play or just brush it off as the ref being unreasonable. Time will tell if that player eventually gets it or not. Hopefully he will. 

No comments: