Friday, October 11, 2013

Another assessment

This past weekend, after my Saturday with the young kids, I had my assessment match to maintain my Grade 7 certification. I received good marks for staying close to the play, but not too close. The other thing that the assessor said was that I called 7 fouls in the first 15 minutes and then had only 11 more through the rest of the game. He said that it worked for that game though my AR said that the coach was questioning if I was going to call all contact at the beginning. However, the kids never complained and then I did not have to worry too much about the frustration level.

The only thing that was a problem was an exchange with one of the coaches. He complained that during one of those screening plays where a player accompanies a ball that is rolling out of bounds, that the player veered too far away from the ball to play the player. I did not think so, but he complained very publicly. I replied "Thanks coach. I ref, you coach." The assessor stated that I should have left it at Thanks Coach. That way you do not invite a reply.

Other than that, another year of me being a 7. He did state that he wanted me to try to upgrade to a 6 given what he saw that day. Some day maybe.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Congrats on passing your maintenance assessment. Upgrading to a 6 requires a lot of O18 games - good luck if you choose to do so.

Anonymous said...

There does not appear to be much benefit to upgrading (whether to a 7 or 6). Difficult to get those older competitive matches unless you are friendly with assignors outside your district. I'd also like to see some younger assessors, since most I see are 55+ and haven't done competitive matches in ages.