Monday, January 26, 2009

The Seminar

As promised, here is the installment that relates to the seminar I attended. The presenter for the two sessions I did attend was Herb Silva and the topics were Foul Severity determination and Communication Skills.

The first one was all about the ability to see the difference between a regular foul and a foul that had ill intentions. A couple of links were mentioned but I do not have my notes here (in bed and with my wife sound asleep beside me). I will milk another post and get those links to you shortly.

The second was mostly communication skills such as when to use humor, or the unspoken techniques that Herb Silva had observed from soccer referee greats like Pierluigi Collina and others. Most were gestures or looks that could cut through ice. This lecture was focused more on the higher level officials and I did see some relationship with my reffing but it was not really geared towards me. I did enjoy them, Herb Silva had a great presentation style and made things entertaining.

I also learned at the seminar that one of the local administrators for the club that my son plays in was going to be given an award, and that one of the people I knew was going to start assigning matches for the fields 5 minutes from my house, and to expect a busy season. I am more than happy about that as it means more work and less travel. Woo Hoo (or however it is spelled) to that tidbit!

More on the link, Herb Silva and the match report to come.

No comments: