Friday, March 16, 2012

Soccered Out

Way too many games in the last 6 days leading up to last Sunday. I was out after the 15th game in 6 days and my knee decided it was too much. I am fine now but it was interesting to get assessed on a match at 8am when the day before I closed out a field at 11pm. It was a long weekend.

What is funny is that most of the referees I worked with this weekend were either grade 6 or something better. As a 7, I was one of the lower levels. Still, in my assessments, I did well and was given good tips on positioning  (and what to look for in an about to sprint attacker - answer: heels off the ground) as well as my center. In that one, the assessment came from Brendan Barry, an Irishman now associated with making the reffing in Virginia better. I certainly hope he can do it. He suggested I look at being a 6. Don't see how I would have the time, but will keep it in the back of my mind.

The matches were all high level. Really good soccer for sure. First touch is really important at the U19 levels and these kids were off the charts.

This coming weekend, I will be taking my two kids back and forth from the tournaments so there will probably be little reffing.

No comments: