Friday, March 30, 2012

Update on End of Season article

I just received an email from one of you asking to update the End of Season posting from November. Thanks for reminding me. Here is the skinny on all of that:

On the first issue, the referee that worked the center where I was an AR, did not really come to anything. The center and the father of the kid seriously hurt went with me to Alabama and did not have any issues. Apparently, the two high level referees that were doing the assessment on the adjacent field never actually filed a complaint or any other formal issue so nothing seems to have come from that.

On the second issue, I am quite disappointed on how it all panned out. If you recall, in the last match of his season, he received a red card for allegedly fighting. As it happened right in front of me, I saw what happened first hand. The center (who again, was far away and quite biased if you ask me) came over and proceeded to hand out two red cards. One to the aggressor and one to my son. The aggressor walked off after striking my son and my son, who again, did not strike anyone, received his card while laying on the ground holding his head.

When he finally got up and walked off, he had some choice words for the referee which was reported to the league. I thought that both players were going to get a two match suspension, the first kid for fighting and my son for language after the red card. Somehow though, the league found that my son was the only one that deserved a two game suspension.

What made this worse is that the new season is now upon us and the schedule is out. The rematch, is of course, the second match of the season, so my son has to miss it, and the other player gets to play it. Beyond annoyed. But it will hopefully teach my son a lesson into how to control his emotions. Between you and me though, it is hard to just walk off without saying something to such an injustice. I just wish there was something I could do with regards to this, but sometimes things just don't work out.

Anyway, excited that the season is starting out. The March tournaments were ok, but nothing spectacular. I may write up something over the weekend regarding one coach I had this last weekend, but there is not much there to say other than he behaved badly. Also, I am realizing it is hard to tone down expectations when you've been doing a certain age group for a while and then have to bring it down a couple of notches when the match is a U13 boys match instead of a U19 boys match. The measuring stick is totally different and you sometimes have to retrain yourself.

No comments: