Thursday, April 20, 2017

Assessment Complete

The assessment was completed, nothing too terrible. Game was not really too complicated. One yellow card only and the takeaways are to get out of passing lanes (where have I heard that before, yeah, in other assessments) and to watch for contact above the shoulders.

That last one was the main negative that I got dinged on (as well as my lack of applying consistency with regards to handling). The episode in particular was a short player going up against a larger player for a header. The taller player swung out his arms for balance and made more than incidental contact with the shorter player's face. I didn't perceive it at the time and therefore let play continue but the shorter player evidently took a stronger blow than I thought he had taken and was down. I check on him, he continued playing and then made a reckless foul that earned him the only yellow card of the match. What the assessor told me was that  had I called the contact to the face, then probably I wouldn't have had to deal with the yellow card. And he is probably right. So passing lanes, contact above the shoulder and consistency with handling are the three areas that I need to work on.

My next assessment is in about a month and if all goes well, I will be done for 2017.

1 comment:

captains please said...

i just finished my second assessment in this condensed requirement period. my assessor used the phrase "insisting vs assisting" to describe how one of my ARs forced my hand 4 times during the match with foul calls. i've not heard it described as such before and for me it was pretty powerful and i will incorporate into my pregame. i've never been fond of the outdated "let me have first crack at fouls", but using the assisting vs insisting will be for me a new way to have that team discussion for operating the match synergistically.