Saturday, April 1, 2017

Assessment today

Virginia has asked all referees looking to stay a 6 or above or those going from 7 to 6 to be assessed their matches before June 30. That is a lot of assessments for only a half a year. Today is my first one, and I will have to find another one in the next 2 months for the adult match. Hopefully it goes well because the assessment fees are expensive!

Also wanted to share something from my son's high school match the other day. I don't know who the center was nor did I find out, but he did something that I would love to be able to use as well in the future. The game was 2-1 in favor of my son's team. Game is getting chippy and there is a lot of talk. Ball is played through to a streaking attacker for my son's team and he makes a move to go one on one with the keeper, and pushes the ball past the keeper and the keeper takes him out. Outside the box but in my view, clear DOGSO. Everyone in the stands goes crazy, tempers flair on the field. They come and tend to the injured player and the ref just pulls the keeper aside and starts talk to him. He talks for what seems like a minute or so and the tensions on and off the field calm down. Finally, he shows the player a red card but it wasn't a "I am angry at you" red, it was more of a "unfortunately I have to show you this" sort of red. And everyone was more calm by the time that happened. Had he gone in guns blazing, showing the red (which is probably something I would have done), the tension would have remained high. I felt he handled it quite well. Just something to remember for next time.

2 comments:

Paul Risdall said...

This is a great post and something I will use on a DAGSO. I was AR in a game last fall where the same thing happened at the end of the game with the keepers team already down 1 just as time was expiring. Ref came in with the red card which was absolutely the right call. Keeper and team went ballistic. He explained it to him and their coach backed the ref so it cooled down quickly. A conversation before the red could have prevented a lot of hostility though. It was a stupid penalty because the final seconds were ticking off the clock and it cost him 4 games because it was his second red of the season.

Paul Risdall said...

*DOGSO